Frequently Asked Questions

Q. Is a long term lease required to store goods?

A. Most Storage companies require a tenant to sign a month-to-month rental agreement contract. At Alameda Mini Storage (AMS), the rent is pro-rated at move-in with new rent charging out every first of the month

Q. Is a 30-day notice required to the office before I can vacate?

A. While some facilities may require a 30-day notice to vacate, Alameda Mini Storage only requires that a tenant give us 7 days notice.

Q. What type of identification or documentation is required to rent a storage unit?

A. Colorado law requires a person to be 18 years of age to sign a contract.  In addition to that, Alameda Mini Storage requires a person to have a valid driver’s license or a state issued I.D. card.

Q. Are locks provided by the storage facility?

A. No.  Each tenant has to provide his/her own lock and have their unit door secured within 24 hours of signing the rental agreement.  Locks are available for purchase at the Alameda Mini Storage office. (See the information about disc locks on the right side of this page.

Q. How can I access my storage unit?

A. Tenants are issued a code to access their individual storage unit.  Someone who accesses a unit with a valid code and key are presumed to be the legal tenant or someone with legitimate authorization.  Tenants, or their authorized agents are allowed access to their storage space so long as they are not delinquent in rent or outside the established gate hours.

Q. Can I access my storage space even if the office is closed?

A. Yes. Alameda Mini Storage gate hours are from 6:00 A.M. to 9:00 P.M., 7 days a week including holidays.

Q. What is a climate controlled storage unit?

A. It can mean different things to different storage companies.  An absolute climate controlled unit does exactly what it states – controls all aspects of the indoor climate (temperature and humidity).  This is important to people who store wine.  AMS does not control humidity in their climate controlled building but makes an effort to keep the temperature at or about 70 degrees Fahrenheit.  This makes our “climate control” more like someone’s living room environment (providing they have air-conditioning).  The storage space is more comfortable and less dusty than the normal outdoor units.

Q. Does AMS offer parking spaces for the storage of RV's, boats, or vehicles?

A. We provide storage units.  If a boat with trailer or a vehicle of any kind can fit into a storage unit, then yes, a tenant can rent for that purpose.  But 1) the motor vehicle or boat must belong to the tenant; 2) the motor driven items must be in good working order; and 3) a copy of the registration or title must be provided to the storage company.  Alameda Mini Storage has several tenants who are storing motorcycles, vehicles, and small boats.

Q. Do I need insurance to store my goods with AMS?

A. Insurance is recommended but an option.  Alameda Mini Storage does not insure tenants’ contents which are being stored in a rented storage space.  That responsibility falls on each tenant.  Often times, a homeowner’s insurance policy will also cover their storage space.  Check with your insurance agent.  For those who do not own a home, a simple renter’s insurance policy can be purchased at an affordable rate.  Again, check with your agent to see if your storage space is covered. Insurance is more than just security, it buys you peace of mind.

Q. What are the acceptable methods and ways to make a payment?

A. First, as a method of payment:

  • We accept cash, check, money-order, Discover, Master Card, and Visa.

Second, as a way to make payments:

    • A tenant can pay in person during normal office hours.
    • A check or money-order dropped through our PAYMENT drop-slot.
    • A debit or credit card payment can be made by telephone.
    • There is no additional cost or fee to sign on to our AUTOMATIC DEBIT/CC MONTHLY RENT WITHDRAWAL PLAN.
    • By automatic check withdrawals arranged through your bank.
    • By paying ONLINE so long as you have provided AMS with a valid e-mail address.

Q. Is there a grace period to pay rent?

A. The rent is due promptly on the 1st of every month.  However, AMS does offer a grace period of five days for the few who might find it necessary under special circumstances.  However, if a payment has not been received by day 5, then a $15 late fee is added to the tenant’s account.

Q. How do I know what size to choose for my storage?

A. Let the experts help.  We can see to it that you are accommodated with the right storage space.  Or, see our Storage Units page for guidance.

Q. Can a moving company's semi-tractor van access my unit to move me in or out?

A. Only with conditions:  A large semi-tractor moving van is NOT permitted in our facility unless the moving event has been authorized and coordinated by management, and management is present at the time of entry.  A tenant is not authorized to allow a large moving van entry through their passcode.  (Once a large semi-tractor van enters the facility, it is unable to turn around and exit the same gate.  Special gates need to be unlocked in order for the van to exit safely from the premise.)

Q. Can I purchase moving supplies at your site?

A. Yes.  AMS offers a complete line of moving supplies in their office. Boxes, tape, packing materials, and even work gloves.